Go8-C9 Student Leadership in International Cooperation (SLIC) Project
In order to develop proposals and ideas for cooperation between Australian and Chinese universities with the aim of promoting opportunities for outbound student mobility from Australia, the DIISRTE provided the Go8 with $100,000 funding to establish a new Go8-C9 ‘Student Leadership in International Cooperation’ (SLIC) Project.
The SLIC Project will support two separate groups of Go8 HDR students to undertake a two-week visit to four-five C9 universities in China during early-mid 2013.
Each selected student participant will be provided with up to $5,000 for the cost of visiting the C9 universities, which may include airfares, accommodation or other costs associated with the visit.
Student participants will be required to present their proposals and ideas at the debriefing event upon their return to Australia.
Each university has set up its own eligibility criteria to select the ideal “student ambassadors”. Students should contact their own insitution for further information.
In general, participating students should:
- be Australian citizens or permanent residents, and have no established links with China (including through living, studying or working in China);
- be enrolled in a research degree at a Go8 university;
- have strong communication and interpersonal/social skills, especially in an international setting
(e.g. can communicate in English clearly, and have awareness and respect about other cultures, etc);
- be a team player;
- have leadership skills; and
- be innovative and creative
(Note: Chinese language proficiency is not required)
Requirements and responsibilities
Students will be required to:
(Before the trip)
- commit to the agreed travel timeframe and visit activities;
- organise relevant travel documents including visa applications (receipts and bank details to provide to the Go8 office for reimbursement);
- provide scanned copies of their passports to the Go8 office for group flight booking purposes (passports should be valid for at least another six months after departure);
(During the trip in China)
- travel within the student group;
- participate in all group activities that are listed in the visit program;
- abide by the regulations and rules of the hosting institutions;
(After the trip)
- present their proposals and ideas at the debriefing event upon their return to Australia (some domestic travel may be involved), and provide a copy of their presentations to the Go8 office;
- complete a short project report form (Go8 to provide later) and submit it to the Go8 at the debriefing event.
- Group flight bookings will be made by the Go8 and paid for at time of booking;
- Campus accommodations in China will be booked by the Go8 secretariat and C9 hosts (if available);
- Each student will receive a daily allowance to cover meals and other incidentals;
- Each student will be covered by international travel insurance; and
- If students need to travel from other cities to attend the debriefing event in Australia, the Go8 office will cover the return domestic airfares and other associated costs.
- Two-week visit takes place on 16-29 April 2013, followed by a debriefing event in Sydney, Australia on 29 April.
Further information for students
Students should contact the Graduate Studies Office or Global Education and Student Exchange Office at their own insitution for further information.